Berries are a delicious and favorite summer fruit for many people, and they also offer many benefits. In this article, here are the most prominent benefits of berries for pregnant women.
The appearance of delightful berries with their splendid shadings causes the spectator to desire to taste and eat it, and the equivalent is the situation for a pregnant lady as she needs to eat it, but she may worry that it may pose a risk to her pregnancy, so what are the benefits of berries for a pregnant woman, and does it have any harms, we will talk about all of that now:
Benefits of berries for pregnant women
Berries give a variety of benefits to a pregnant woman and her fetus as well, and eating them in appropriate quantities does not pose any harm to her. Learn about the benefits of berries for a pregnant woman:
1. Provides the body with energy
Berries represent a natural source of energy for a pregnant woman, especially in the final stages of pregnancy, when she feels lazy and lethargic, giving her great energy and activity.
2. Stimulates the development of the fetus’s brain and bones
In addition to being a source of energy, berries are also a fruit that contains low amounts of fat and sodium, so it is possible to eat five servings per day, equivalent to approximately two and a half cups, and this stimulates the proper mental development of the fetus and the correct growth of its bones.
3. It protects against the risk of fetal malformations
Berries are a fruit rich in folic acid, which is an essential and important vitamin for pregnant women, as they offer the following benefits:
- Protection from the risk of deformities in the spine and extremities, and other abnormalities that may be exposed to the fetus.
- Help prevent cardiovascular disease.
- Reduce the risk of miscarriage.
4. Protects from constipation
Berries, especially blackberries, contain fibers that aid in the process of digestion and water absorption in the large intestine and reduce disturbances related to digestion, which reduces the rate of constipation in a pregnant woman.
5. Promotes bone health
Berries contain calcium and magnesium, which ensure the healthy growth of bones and teeth, as magnesium helps the absorption of calcium and potassium.
Berries also contain a group of vitamins and minerals that are very beneficial for bones, which help prevent osteoporosis.
6. It protects against the risk of severe bleeding
Berries contain vitamin K, which helps protect the body from the risk of bleeding, and aids in the proper blood clotting process.
Berries also contain other vitamins that aid in the speedy healing process of wounds.
7. It protects against the risk of developing malignant tumors
Berries contain several nutrients, such as Anthocyanins, medicinal chemical compounds that protect against the growth and development of cancer cells, and they also help inhibit the growth of these cells when they are present, which may protect the pregnant woman from developing cancer.
8. Maintains heart health
Berries contain anthocyanins and flavonoids that keep the heart-healthy.
Also, its fiber and magnesium content protects against the risk of arterial and venous blockages and stimulates the flow of blood inside the blood vessels, and thus berries reduce the risk of vascular diseases and clots.
9. Good antioxidant and stress relief
Berries are an effective antioxidant that protects and maintains cells. This is because it contains vitamin C, potassium, and carbohydrates.
It also relieves stress that may accompany pregnancy.
The dangers of berries for pregnant women
In addition to the benefits that berries enjoy, there are some risks to a pregnant woman, such as the following:
- Berries can cause allergic reactions in some pregnant women.
- Consuming berries in large quantities can cause diarrhea.
- Women who suffer from pancreatitis, dyskinesia, or intolerance to oxalic compounds (Oxalic-intolerant) should avoid eating berries during pregnancy.